-= Random Ramblings... =-

Tuesday, March 29, 2005

I Hate Internet Explorer

As a web developer I frequently have to program in Javascript, which on it's own can be pretty annoying at times, especially coming from the more object-oriented, more featureful world of Python. In reality I don't mind Javascript all that much, as long as I don't have to work with dates... don't get me started on dates in Javascript!!! In any case, for developing I much prefer to work in a Linux environment (which I can do at my company, thankfully) and therefore the majority of my browsing time is spent in Firefox. Consequently whenever I develop a new page it gets developed and tested in Firefox first. Recently this has been causing me no small amount of grief, as Internet Explorer is much more picky (which can be good), is missing a handful of Javascript attributes that Firefox has (which sucks), and has about the worst goddamn script error reporting EVER. There has not been a single time where Explorer has given me a useful goddamn error message when the script, which works perfectly in Firefox, makes it barf. It's the most frustrating thing in the world to try and debug a problem in a script when the browser you're using doesn't tell you what the hell the problem is. I even tried downloading the Microsoft Script Debugger(r)(c)(TM)(whatever), but that didn't help either. All that did was serve to confuse me more because it opens up a window with the source code for my script, but in the wrong goddamn place. It doesn't even give me a better error message, the error message is the same unhelpful crap that it was telling me before. Useless!!!! In fact, I'm pretty sure IE only has 3 different error messages and it just picks one at random for that bug and keeps giving you that one, even though it says NOTHING about what the problem really is. AUGH! I'm going to be glad to be done with this side of dealing with computers. Good riddance.

1 Comments:

  • Yeah, blogger was being retarded when I tried to post this entry. I thought I'd lost it for a moment but fortunately I didn't.

    I'm pretty with you on that list there, although I don't really hate Javascript right now. Then again I'm not doing anything overly complicated with it either.

    By Blogger Foxpaw, at 10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home