-= Random Ramblings... =-

Thursday, January 13, 2005

Crash!

My poor truck got rearended last night on my way home from work. It happened on the 405S just before the interchange to the 10. I was in the fast lane, traffic was stop and go. We had just had an extended "go" period and we came to a stop again. I didn't stop fast, I came to a nice leisurely stop. I was stopped a couple of seconds before I heard the unmistakeable sound of screeching tires directly behind me. I looked up into my rear view mirror to see the headlights approaching fast. After 2 or 3 seconds of screeching tires I thought "He's been stopping for a while, he'll probably stop in time.", then CRASH! That unique sound of crumpling sheetmetal. Great. It sounded pretty bad, so I get out of my truck expecting to see the back end pretty mangled. The first thing I see is that what hit me was a stock two wheel drive (so not very tall) Ford F-150 that looks like a company work truck. The hood is buckled, the front grill is completely smashed and pushed in. It looks bad. Fearing the worst I look at my truck. I have to look at it for a few seconds before I can see the damage. The step in the middle of the bumper is pushed down. One of the license plate lights popped out (I popped it back in and it stays fine), the other one broke off. There's a small dent on the right side of the tailgate. Cosmetically, that's it. If you're not really looking for it, you almost couldn't tell that my truck had been in accident. We exchanged insurance information, the guys (there were two in the truck) work for a plumbing company and the truck is a work truck, so it's covered by the work's insurance company. Hopefully that will make things easier, not harder. A CHP unit stopped by to see if we were ok or needed a tow, but both truck were still driveable. The Ford missed getting it's radiator punctured by about an inch. Once I got home I checked the tailgate and it's having some trouble opening, so it's obviously been warped. If I open it all the way it hits the bumper, so the bumper is angled upwards now. There's also a crack in the plastic surrounding the right tail light. Overall the truck held up really well though. It'll need a new bumper, probably a new tailgate, and maybe a new tail light. It's gonna suck having the truck in the shop for a few days to get that done, but it could have been worse. It wasn't my fault and there wasn't a whole lot of damage to my truck.

I don't have any pictures because my camera's been misplaced and my cell phone was completely out of juice. Not that it would have been able to take any decent pictures since it was almost 8pm.

Nissan 1 - Ford 0

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home